Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 4:00 PM
Subject: [RC] deaths

No matter how many rules, no matter how many autopsies, no matter how many vet checks 2 mile from the finish, no matter how careful we try to be, no matter how mean or tough our vets are, no matter how much we riders and participants try to police others., horse deaths will probably continue to occur.  We are no different than even pleasure riders who have been known to ride a horse to death from stupidity or just plain not knowing better.  No matter how many rules or restrictions we make there will always be someone who will figure out a way to get around them.  Having been in and riding this sport for over 30 years, deaths are fewer.  Folks are wiser, folks tend to do their homework better.  I would not want to go back to the 70s and do what we did then.  We have come along way baby and we have a long way to go yet.  Ultimately the final decision of how that horse is ridden is up to the rider.  Most of us are in love with our animals and do the best we can.  BUT you can't outguess and prevent everything that is bound to happen.  There are some who don't care.  I find that those folks don't last long.  Most of us are outspoken and tend to tell someone off when we see an abused horse that is being pushed beyond its means.  Newbies, you will get there too.  I think our sport tends ………