[RC] drug testing - Dot Wiggins

There is $1.00 per rider added to the post ride results fee sent to AERC after each ride to cover the cost of drug testing.

A couple years ago a friend's horse was chosen to be tested at Bandit Springs ride in NW.  Chosen by finish place, I think she was 40th.  Don't know how many out of 60 plus entries were tested.
In 2002 my horse was tested at Old Selam, NW, one of 3 chosen by finshing place. At least one horse was top ten, I was about 15th, don't know where the other one finished.

I know of 3 endurance horses that died recently.  One had a broken leg at home in pasture.   One got loose at a ride, somehow tangled with a water tank and was put down with a broken leg.  The third completed a 50 and successfully passed the post ride completion exam, became ill, was transported to major vet hospital where surgery showed he had pre-existing gut problems that could not have been corrected whether or not he had been on an endurance ride, and was put down.

Don't think any new measures would have saved any of these.