Re: [RC] [RC] Preventing Treated Horses - Jackie Winkleman

Isn't there a random drug test fee included in our
membership dues or ride fees?

I would like to actually see it done more (I've never
seen it done in the rides I've been too, but have only
been doing this for 2 years).  I don't know what the
actual costs would be, but it may HELP keep people a
little more honest if they actaully thought there was
a chance their horse might be tested.  Not that anyone
would do anything illegal or anything!!!

I know NATRC does do random drug testing, and I think
they did it at all three rides I've done with them.

How often are random drug tests done in AERC rides?
Anyone have any more info on this?

--- oddfarm <jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Heidi said,
As I've stated previously, virtually every death
that I've personally
witnessed at endurance events has been due either to
a non-detected
pre-existing condition or to an unavoidable
accident.

I have been sharing this thread with John and he
asked me if any horse that has died at a ride had an
autopsy done. How would we know if a horse had  a
pre-existing condition without an autopsy? Is a
horse checked for drugs in the case of a death? Can
that be checked without an autopsy? Have drugs ever
been considered a possibility? I can't recall ever
seeing a report from any committee reporting on drug
testing. In eight years, I don't think I have ever
been to a ride where I have seen horses being tested
for drugs.

Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm