Re: [RC] They all only go on "with qualifications" - DVeritas

In a message dated 2/17/2003 8:36:01 AM Mountain Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

"Can this horse safely make it to the next checkpoint, even if the
rider does NOT ride smart?"

Seems to me that a horse is either "fit to continue" or is not.
     A vet should not have to count on the stars all lining up just right, the earth not opening up and swallowing all the riders or whether all the nailheads on a shoe will keep the horse's shoes on on the next "leg"...."yes, the horse can go"...or "no, this horse is done."
    Many of us would find it impossible to load a horse in a trailer and hit the road to a ride if we start speculating on what "might" happen "down the road."
    Prepare and give it a reasonable try....that's about it.
    That's not to say, that a vet, should he/she want to proffer, "I think your horse is a bit tired and it's still pretty hot out there, so ride smart and you should be okay," or something of the sort, that's probably okay, and most folks would welcome a bit of knowledgeable encouragement of that sort.
   ---Frank