Re: [RC] [Guest] criteria and pulses at checks - Heidi Smith

With all the talk on Ridecamp about horses getting into trouble. I would
be
curious to know why horses have 30 minutes at each vet check to reach
criteria.  In my opinion, if a horse takes 30 minutes to recover how can
it
be fit to continue?  I am open minded and would be interested to hear any
opinions why I may be wrong.  Instead of lowering the criteria which seems
like it may punish non arabs why not shorten the time to reach
criteria.  Please do not e mail me privately but post on ridecamp.  I am
having problems retrieving e mails at this time.

I tend to agree that horses that take 30 minutes to reach pulse criteria are
apt to be marginal at best.  That said--shortening the interval could be
more of a "breed punishment" than setting the lower pulses.  In some cases
it does take "other breeds" a few more minutes to reach a given criterion
than it does those Arabs that are bred for the sport.  The important thing
here is to observe a "progressive recovery" no matter WHAT the breed.  A
horse with a slower recovery curve WILL reach the lower numbers.  It may
just take a bit longer.  But a horse in trouble DOES tend to hang.

Many of us DO look at the fact that a horse took a longer time to recover
than he should have--and many times we have these horses spend extra time at
a hold as a result, just to see what will happen.  And in many cases, these
are also the horses that end up being "out" due to parameters other than
pulse--lameness, no gut sounds, etc.  I can't begin to count the number of
times I've gone ahead and examined those very horses, and the reason why the
pulse was hanging becomes crystal-clear as soon as the exam is done.  Pulse
DOES tend to correlate to a wide range of other problems.

Heidi