[RC] Pulse - Punishing non-Arab breeds - Lysane Cree

I really don't see the big disadvantage for non-Arab
breeds. First, if people had been breeding other
breeds for endurance and stamina as long as Arabs have
been, then there would be other breeds just as
competitive as Arabs. Second, if you are interested in
other breeds (like me), just select the individual
from that breed that is best suited to the sport of
endurance. Not any horse will do because they have not
been selectively bred for endurance riding traits. For
example, some Quarter Horses or Paints or Morgans may
never be suitable for endurance and may never make
quick recoveries. Doesn't mean individuals within
those breeds cannot be just as competitive as Arabs,
given it is the right individual for the job. Some
Quarter Horses and Paints have such huge muscling in
their hindquarters that is great for cutting or
reining but not so great for a 100 miles of trail. On
the other hand, there are some QHs and Paints that are
slimmer and more streamlined and would probably do
great. They might be the "rejects" when it comes to
cutting or reining, but they would probably be good
distance candidates. When I was given the opportunity
to select two of my friend's horses to do a
competitive trail ride this summer, I began by looking
at build and conformation and then I checked all of
their heart rates, and selected the two with the
lowest heart rates. I think that is the most important
step - selecting the right individual for the job,
regardless of breed. If you do that, then a
well-conditioned horse of any breed should have no
problem meeting criteria within the required time.

Lysane