[RC] deaths in equine sports/my rambling - RENESPONY

Since we all get upset when we hear about horses dropping dead at rides,
does anyone know about horse deaths in other disciplines?
weren't horses dropping dead at the Olympic games that were held in Spain a
few years ago?
what about the cross country courses were horses break their necks and legs
when they crash into those huge jumps? (and the riders too)
just thinking that there are probably more deaths in other equine activities
than endurance.
Don't forget that horses can have a fatal heart attack, or other fatal
injuries, in any discipline, at any time. Its not always that they are over
ridden or under cared for.

how about tevis? they have new recommendations and requirements for their
ride this year. i think its great, i read it all. a good way to make people
realize that that is a serious ride.
wonder if that was coming or just in response to the horses falling off the
cliffs?
also with tevis, yea its a tough ride in a tough,  beautiful area,(the king
mother of all rides!) but wouldn't it be better to try to reroute some areas
of the trail that flirt with death. (or any other ride that has that problem)
tevis aint a ride for wimps, but maybe, should avoid the bad press that comes
with
contestants falling to their deaths?
yea, i know, suck it up and deal with. but we should all be watching our
butts to prevent equine deaths, and bad PR that could put an end to our sport.
or the rules may get so stringent that we would no longer enjoy ourselves.
Since I am aiming for tevis in 2006 I hope they don't change the rules so
much in the coming years that I wont qualify!
And why wont an endurance ride be run as an Olympic sport?
What's holding us back? (not like we'll get good TV coverage any way! They
only show the jumping wreaks!)
just my thoughts..........
                                                                   RENE