[RC] Presidents Cup - press release - Steph Teeter

This is a press release, sent to me for distribution to Ridecamp:

Showtime to bring HH President?s Cup
to international audience

Classic to be shown live for eight and a half hours

Showtime, one of the world?s biggest satellite television broadcasters, has
secured the rights to broadcast next Thursday?s HH The President?s Cup
endurance race from Abu Dhabi. And in a major shot in the arm for the sport
as it strives to win Olympic status, Showtime Sport will be showing the 160
kilometer classic live over an extended eight and a half hour slot next
Thursday (February 20)

The broadcast, which goes on air at 10am UAE time, will be one of the
biggest outside broadcast productions ever in the Emirates, with 11 cameras,
four helicopters and a host of technical innovations.

"The President?s Cup is one of the highlights of the equestrian calendar
around the world, a classic test of man and horse that is comparable with
Britain?s Grand National," said Andrew Bone, public relations manager for
Showtime Middle East, whose key markets are Saudi, Arabia, UAE, Kuwait,
Egypt "We are delighted to be broadcasting this event to our subscribers
across the region in 22 countries."

In addition to the live broadcast, a three hour highlights package will be
beamed across the region in the weeks after February 20.

?We are delighted to welcome Showtime as broadcasters of The Presidents Cup
from Emirates International Endurance Village. The interest of such a media
giant is a shot in the arm for Endurance and will only serve to underline
the emergence of our sport,? said Ali Jassim, director of Emirates
International Endurance Village. ?His Highness Sheikh Mansoor bin Zayed Al
Nahyan has an innovative approach to modernising the sport. Showtime?s
eighth and a half hour broadcast from Abu Dhabi is another blow in winning
international acceptance and promoting Endurance.?

Riders from around 25 counties will be starting the gruelling 160
kilometers, with six riders from the United States and a host of European
champions going to post. Entries from Bahrain and Qatar will feature, while
the UAE?s own endurance stars ? headed by World Champion Sheikh Ahmed bin
Mohammed Al Maktoum ? are expected to turn out in force.

Al Ain based Ali Khalfan, newly crowned G.C.C. Champion following his
stunning success in Bahrain two weeks ago, will head a strong entry from
Sheikh Mansoor bin Zayed Al Nahyan?s Al Wathba Endurance Stables.

Broadcasters have also lined up an elite commentary team, headed by Ian
Williams, head of Endurance worldwide for governing body FEI, leading
Endurance journalist Gilly Wheeler, Irish Champion Iona Davenport and 1963
Grand National winning jockey Pat Buckley.

"Endurance is the ultimate test of horsemanship, not only the physical but
also in terms of strategy and understanding of your horse and his needs,"
said Buckley, whose success in Liverpool in 1963 propelled him from jockey
to celebrity. "I am delighted that Showtime have chosen to show The
President?s Cup live from Abu Dhabi, as this will give the sport an
opportunity to show itself on the widest possible stage. It is a beautiful
sport that deserves more recognition."

The event is being sponsored by Emirates, Damas, Mercedes Benz, Khaleej
Times, LG Electronics and Endurance World magazine.