Re: [RC] ] waterproof clothing - DESERTRYDR1

I don't worry so much about being dry, as I do being WARM.  Rode yesterday,
it was 40-45 and raining.  I wore two pairs of tights, the outer pair had a
polar fleece lining and a smooth outer surface.  Mink oiled boots.  A light
longsleeved shirt, two sweatshirts (one with a hood), and my most favorite
winter garment, a down vest.  I put the hood up and pull the liner out of my
helmet and just put it on over the hood.  No air gaps, no water running down
my neck.  I have worn this some combo and rode in the rain at least three
other times this winter, with temps generally about 38-45 degrees.  And I am
not talking an hour, I generally ride at least two, often three hours, in the
rain.  At times the rain is sprinkles, at times it is just short of pouring,
sometimes there is a pretty good breeze too.

The down vest is probably the key, as it doesn't matter if down is wet, it's
still warm.  I have taken it off and literally wrung it out, but not been
cold while I was riding.  The polar fleece wicks water away, so your skin
doesn't feel damp.  The mink-oiled boots keep feet fairly dry, and as someone
said, even if their wet, they usually stay warm.  You have to trot mainly, as
posting keeps your blood moving so you don't get cold.

I know, too damp crazy to come in out of the rain.  jeri