[RC] educating - Larry Miller

Educating the rider about doing endurance or competitive is a very good
idea.  BUT, it won't solve all the problems that riders get into.  There is
always one out there that thinks he/she knows everything and won't listen.
Thus will get into trouble.  There are those out there that won't do their
homework either.  Thus get into trouble.  I have been in this sport since
1971, have seen clinics put on by groups or individuals, whatever.  Problem
is, is to get new distance riders to listen.  This is not to say that new
riders won't listen, most do, BUT.......And then, there are those of us who
know better but still can get into trouble.  I guess the only way to keep
horses out of trouble would be for a vet to follow them on a quad on the
whole trail!  I certainly hope at 62, I will know better, but I still make
mistakes, hopefully I catch them before the mistakes get too bad.
Experience is the best teacher of all.  Sometimes it is the only way.
Sometimes it is a very hard lesson to learn.  I can say one thing about
getting older and still doing this sport.  I don't ride as fast as I used to
so maybe I will stay out of trouble!  I also have no problem telling someone
if he/she is doing something stupid either.  Tactfully of course, but if
that doesn't work, then bluntly and loudly as well.  Jim Rogan will never
forget when he was new to this sport how I yelled at him to put a blanket on
his gelding's rump when he came into a cold vet check!  I think he put his
coat on and Beezar is still going down trail with great care from Jim!   LOL
Jeanie