[RC] Riding out in the worst snowstorm since 1772 (was Pictures) - Part 1 - Flora Hillman

As of this moment (5:19PM EST) , 21" has already fallen on the Washington DC area, and the whole region is completely shut down.   All the major airports are closed, and the major roads are virtually impassable -- including I-95.   The dogs now refuse to go out (the snow is over their heads) and the ponies are all safely huddled in the shed while the snow comes down sideways in sharp tiny flakes. The police are warning everyone in the VA-MD-DE states to stay indoors and NOT to go out. The temps are down to 17 degrees, and we're still being told this is only the middle of the storm with the heaviest snow -- another foot or more -- expected in the next few hours and overnight.

The meteorologists are calling this the all time biggest snowfall in history -- and may top the great snowfall of 1772 that both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson wrote about in their diaries.

All I could think of earlier this afternoon was.... what a perfect opportunity for a ride! <grin>

Of course, the short 50 feet from house to stable was easy to walk since my husband had already plowed the driveway for the 4th time, but the cold was another story.  The first hit of that blowing snow almost convinced me to turn back, but ... this was the chance of a lifetime.  Besides, I'd dealt with worse in my years on the ski patrol.  I turned my face from the wind, and reached the barn, struggling for a few moments to free the big sliding doors from the deep drifts.

I warmed up fairly quickly just trying to get the field gates open, back-kicking the deep powdery snow away the 12' entire length of the two main gates.  The snow was up to my knees -- we had measured it at 15" before I headed out--  and it took a lot of effort just to get to the back field where the ponies were waiting out the storm in their big, cozy run-in shed.  They came out to greet me enmass, snowy icicles hanging from jowls and sides, backs covered in white crystals which their thick wooly winter coats admirable held at bay. They crowded around me with bright eyes and warm, foggy breath, checking me out to see where I'd hidden the carrots, most disappointed that all I had to offer was a pat.

My endurance pony was more than happy to come back to the stable with me, following just far enough behind so as to not step on me while I struggled  through the knee-high powdery snow.  By the time I reached the stable, I was close to exhausted, but still charged up about the ride.

Since the conditions were very bad, with blowing snow and intense cold (the barn thermometer said 19 degrees at the time), I left my pony's heavy under-blanket on, and just threw the saddle over it.  I wasn't interested in doing more than a walk for about 4 miles -- to try out my camera (again) mind you -- so the pony was better off dressed in a full heavy-duty weather-proof rug than just a quarter sheet.

I stripped off my boots and snowmobile suit, and slipped into my mountain running shoes (warm and toasty), my well-worn leather bomber's jacket  (ain't nothing getting through that sucker), a bandana for my face (old skier's trick), double lined gloves, half chaps over my double pair of riding breeches, a mink ear band for my head, and my camera in my jacket pocket.

The snow was mounting an inch an hour, the winds now swirling into the stable, steadily building a white drift of snow on the aisleway at the doorway.  The world outside was one color only, with all remnants of both nature and humanity lost in a blizzard of sheer white.

I slipped on my gloves and mounted up, securing the polar fleece horse&rider quarter sheet around my waist, and tucking the draping folds around my legs to keep them warm and dry.  I pulled the bandana up over the bridge of my nose to protect my lower face, bucked my helmet strap, and picked up my reins.

I was ready to ride.

Continued.....