Re: [RC] Pulse - Punishing the non-Arab breeds -- the problem - Heidi Smith

>The probelm is horses get into trouble that are 48, horses get into trouble that 56/48 at the CRI. Horses get into trouble that have "all A's" on their card. Horses can get into trouble despite the best intentions of their ride riding under the best vet in the world.

Certainly, because pulse is not the only factor in why horses get into trouble.  But non-recovery was one of the major reasons, and it has been one of the easier ones to control.

To suggest that 2002 was some sort of bumper year for horse deaths is a sign that you weren't around back in the '70's and early '80's--when there were far fewer rides, nowhere near the rider numbers, and I can recall years when there were multiple deaths just in our one region, never mind the whole country.

JMO, but I think we have pretty well solved the pulse recovery issue over the years as far as a good level for recovery coming into holds.  What we need to address now is picking up other causes that lead to horse deaths--and as we've previously discussed, having exit exams instead of entrance exams allows vets to see what the horse looks like as he is getting ready to LEAVE the check, not 45 minutes before then when he is still on a "high" from the trail.  This is a good tool for picking up horses whose gut sounds haven't come back after a rest and a chance to eat, those whose pulses have not continued to drop (or in some worrisome cases have gone back up), those who have peed black, etc.--without sending them out on another loop before their problems are detected.  And again, this won't solve everything either--there will always be the horse whose aneurysm ruptures, or tumor breaks open, or who steps in a hole and fractures a leg.

No pun intended, but I think we are beating a dead horse with this pulse discussion.  60 pulses work, and work well.  56 works as an extreme control measure under extreme circumstances.  Going lower for an in-gate pulse is not practical, nor has anyone suggested it.  Now we need to move on and solve other problems that cause horses to die.

Heidi