Re: [RC] Hold times - Heidi Smith

an hour isn't enough at the halfway point, at least.  Typical >pattern
=> that I> like (barring unusual weather circumstances or unusual
obstacles at => checks)
is 15 at the first check, 45 at the halfway, and then anywhere from 15
=> to 30> at the 3rd check, depending on circumstances.

I wonder is weather would come to play in our attitudes here. In the
Southeast the vets generally want us to pull tack at every vet check. The
horse just cools off better.  If you've got a 15 min. check where you've
got to re-tack that horse isn't going to get much "down time" with people
letting him relax.

Yes, weather is definitely an issue here.  On many of our rides, the first
check is cold enough (even in summer) that you DON'T want the tack off!  But
it can be hot and miserable later in the day, so you DO want tack off.
That's exactly the sort of thing that has to be taken into account by the
veterinary staff at each and every ride, and is why there should only be
guidelines about this issue, not rules.  Furthermore, guidelines should
include WHY you would want tack on or off with different weather situations,
so that the given circumstances at each individual ride are taken into
account.  The extreme variations that we can have in weather in our area are
a particular challenge--especially in the fall, we can start off with an
inch of ice on the water buckets in the mornings, with riders bundled up in
polarfleece and layers and horses wearing rump rugs, and be 90 degrees in
the early afternoon.  So one plans early morning vet checks with an entirely
different agenda than checks 3/4 of the way through the ride.

Heidi