Re: [RC] 'too slow can cause problems' (Jim) - Jim Holland

Michelle...

Dr. Marcella is greatly admired by just about everyone in the Southeast,
including me. He gives freely of his time and expertise to individuals
and organizations like Equine Rescue...horses are his thing.  He writes
numerous articles for Vet magazines and in something called "Mane
Points".  I wouldn't know where to tell you to look, although the next
time I see him I will try to ask him.

I sometimes "hover" in the background at rides and listen to him talk to
riders. His theory was that being out excessively long sometimes causes
the rider to become fatigued and not ride as well, contributing to back
soreness and lameness and maybe the horse being a little less
enthusiastic and dispirited, which may affect his attitude in vet
checks.  Best I understand it is that a "comfortable" pace for you and
your horse, which you determine by training and experience is better for
you and your horse, than to be OVERLY cautious at rides. Everything in
moderation. However, I don't think there's any danger of horses DYING
from going too slow! <grin>

Sorry I can't give you more info. I've never been accused of going too
slow! :)

Regards, Jim

Michelle Fink wrote:

Jim wrote:
"Dr. Ken Marcella has pointed out numerous times, sometimes going too slow
can cause problems."

Hi Jim,

Is this info online somewhere or can you please add info to this?  What are
the problems of going too slow and what is considered too slow?  Sorry to go
off on a tangent...

TIA!
Michelle
(Colorado)