[RC] Pulse - Skippykemerer1

I don't believe lowering the PC to 56 is the answer as it only measures the condition of the horse at certain points. Not withstanding the CRI if your horse has a resting PR of 22 and you come in to a VC at 64 your horse's circulatory system is operating almost 300% above what it normally does.  On the other hand if the resting PR is 48 and you go into the VC at 64 your horse is operating at 33% above normal.
If there is going to be a change in the PR criteria I'd vote that rather than pick a fixed number it be based on a percentage of the resting PR.

I haven't seen any analysis on RC of things that could have caused the horses death.  Specifically, what was the temp/humidity ratio, are the deaths with only new riders or riders under "n" miles.  How many miles did the horse complete so far.  What were the hold times and how many holds?
Without that type of data I believe talk of changing anything is premature.
Any death is tragic and when preventable even more so, let's make sure a proper analysis is performed before any changes are made so we treat the problem not the symptom.

On another note:
Lately rides I've been at rides where there are 40 min. holds.  These really provide the horse an opportunity to eat and relax, more importantly it provides the rider and crew time to observe the horse without the hectic pace a 30 min hold to watch for anything unusual.

Skip  &
Ice Joy