Re: [RC] AERC Reply to Request of 2002 Horse Death Info - Lynne Glazer

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 03:12 PM, Jim Holland wrote:

Perfect public subject, Jim.

I want to see the rules we already have enforced, and I support veterinary *guidelines* that promote riders taking the best care possible of the silent partners in our sport.

This is especially relevant to me personally--I just rebuttted the response from the rider whom I protested after my Norco ride this last year, (and incidentally though not part of the original reason for the protest, the horse was euthanized not long after the ride). And I'm about to put on another large ride, which will be attended by someone against whom a protest, also of horse abuse, has been filed about their behavior at their last ride.

(You can be sure when attending one of my rides that there will be sufficient vet staff, and we are in sync with the focus at most rides in PS-- vets want to see the horses a while into their hold so that the adrenalin wears off and they show their true condition.)

As a rider, I do support with my checkbook multi-day rides which may only have a vet check in the middle of a 50--and I choose carefully whether or not my horse is seasoned enough to handle that. Do you know for a fact that those 8 deaths were at rides that don't have more than one mid-ride check?

One day rides promote racing--multi-day rides promote completion and/or very careful racing. I like the idea of some sort of qualification for rides with only one check--some minimum number of miles of rider and of horse, though not necessarily together (which would prevent catch riding--though unlike the WEG our "catch riders" tend to be friends of the owners and ride together). I also support the idea of a horse logbook, so that a vet can see the horse's history, and would like to see this explored more.

Most of our rides have 3 checks on a 50 too. Have these deaths all been on 50s, do we even know that?

I think your jibe about California is unwarranted--you are referring to incorporation rules that just say that the books are OPEN, and it's unworthy of you.

In *any* case, there is no way to determine whether a horse has died immediately subsequent to an endurance ride--after they're home. You don't know that it hasn't happened in the SE.

I'd also like to know why you are assuming that these deaths all resulted from horse abuse. The only death I know of that may have been counted was a friend's horse who got an intestinal twist in the night after her turtle 11+ hr 50, he survived the surgery well, and two days later developed an infection, the 5th day after the ride he was euthanized. Is that considered a "death at the ride"?

At all of our PS rides, the criteria is NOT announced in advance--just at the ride meeting, by the Head Vet.

Come on west, and check our vets' teeth!

Lynne
Bar H Boogie
http://www.lynnesite.com/bhb.html