Re: [RC] pulse - Heidi Smith

 I ride and have only ridden quarter horses for endurance. I have had
the top Quarter Horse award from AQHA four different times. I have over
5,000 + miles ALL on quarter horses and consider my horses very very
fit. (I rode 1,150 miles last year all on the same quarter horse.) If
you give me a pulse of 56 with any kind of heat or humidity, I am in
most cases OUT!
 Again, I resent penalizing me for the over ridden Arabians.

Stagg, thanks for including this clip of Sue's post here.

Sue, I know there were QH's on the rides where I've run 56 pulses, and they
were in no way OUT!  One of the first stallions in our region to reach the
1000 and 2000 mile marks was a wonderful QH stallion named Scotch And Soda,
ridden by Dot Wiggins.  Although his recovery curve may have been a few
minutes behind the Arabs, he nonetheless exhibited a good progressive
recovery, as do fit horses in general.  Likewise I remember our former PNER
president Steve Johnson, in his early years in the sport, riding a good QH
many miles (and I apologize for forgetting the horse's name, although I can
see him in my mind's eye)--another QH with perfectly good recoveries who
continued to recover.

I disagree that a 56 pulse penalizes QH's--that has not been my experience
at all, and their exit pulses have been good in my experience as well.

Understand when I say this that I am an Arab person through and through.
But I'd rather have a QH of old breeding, bred to WORK, when it comes to
recovery, than some of the new-line Arabs that are so excitable that their
pulse rates couple with their adrenaline surges, which they have over every
little thing.  These horses are a REAL pain to recover at checks, and they
illustrate why I'm very picky over what LINES of Arabs I care to ride.  One
can't simply assume that an Arab will have good recoveries, nor that a QH
will have poor ones.  There are families and individuals in both breeds that
have the mental and the cardiovascular qualities that one wants for this
sport.

Heidi