Re: [RC] lower pulse - Stagg_Newman

Sue,

Am not sure that I agree with this unless we have done specific studies in
mind.  I  have been at
two rides where 56 was used (I would not go lower than that).  At one of
those rides
out of over 50 starters in a 50 there was only one pull and that was from
an injury from
a would from a stick.  The non-Arab breeds had no problem meeting the
recoveries.
As I remember there were quarter horses, morgans, etc.

It took both the Arabs and the non-Arabs longer to recover than normal.
And the Arabs
did recover faster than the non-Arabs but that is normally the case even
when the pulse
is 64.

There are two key questions we need to answer.

-Can any breed that is likely to be used in endurance make the pulse
criteria in
a reasonable amount of time if the horse is being properly ridden?

-Does a lower pulse rate criteria penalize the horses with a higher resting
pusle rate more than
a higher pulse rate criteria in the difference in recovery time?

For example if the criteria is 64 and the average Arab recovers in 5
minutes and
the average Morgan recovers in 8 minutes then the difference is 3 minutes.
If the criteria is 56 and the average Arab recovers in 10 minutes and the
average
Morgan recovers in 13 minutes, then the difference is 3 minutes and there
is no
penalty so 56 would be fair.

On the other hand if it takes the average Morgan 18 mintues, then
there is a 5 minute penaly and 56 is too low a criteria.

Bob Morris would say we need some data here.  I agree as I may be wrong in
my hypothesis
that any breed can make 56 within a reasonable amount of time and that the
difference in
recovery minutes for an Arab and non-Arab does not change much if you lower
the puse
rate by 4 or 8 beats from the 64 commonly used today.

Stagg Newman
Senior Practice Expert
America's Telecom Practice
McKinsey and Company
1-828-232-1314

                    Sue Phillips

                    <sueqh1@airm        To:     Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                    ail.net>            cc:

                    02/14/2003          Subject:     lower pulse

                    07:49 AM

Stagg,
 When folks bring up the idea of lower pulses, I don't think you are
keeping in mind the riders who ride the "off breeds" for endurance. So
many riders think they MUST have an arabian to compete in
endurance...they don't, unless guidelines/rules are made that keep "off
breeds" from being in the game.
Any time you lower a pulse, you discriminate against the "other
breeds". These breeds should not be punished for the Arabians that go
too fast.
Please keep this in mind any time lower pulses are mentioned.
Sue Phillips
The Quarter Horse Queen!

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.