[RC] preventing problems at rides - oddfarm

I love the idea of seeing the vet before you go out. By then, if the gut sounds are low after eating and drinking, that is something to ponder before going back out. Also, if your horse needs a few more minutes to recover, you'll get that without re-entering the PR area. You end up waiting anyway, so you might as well get some food and water first. If my camp is before the vet hold, I stop and let my horse eat and drink and if I have time, take off my tack. It does work much better for the horse and you can better scores. Of course on the flip side, front runners could get pretty ugly if they don't get out in time.

I do agree that the rider has full responsibility for their horse. However, we are a team and the team consists of the horse, rider, vet, ride manager and even crew. It is my responsibility to train, feed, condition and ride my horse intelligently. When I come into a vet hold and tell the vet everything I can about how our ride is so far and how I think my horse is doing, then it is his or her turn to evaluate. I count on, yes even RELY on that expertise, which I don't have, to help me make decisions about the ride. The vet does have a responsibility at that time to use that expertise to the best of his or her knowledge.

I also rely on the RM to have competent vets, so that if my horse does get into trouble, we are in good hands. If you travel to many different states, you can't possibly know all the vets. I would hope that they have the sense to keep the loops at least under 20 miles if possible, and to work with the vets on the hold times. They know the terrain, need to take into consideration the weather and be able to determine, with the vets what will be the safest for all. They also are obligated to make sure the rules are followed.  So they have their own responsibilities. I know I can count on my trainer Wendy to watch for signs of lameness or lethargy because our crew sometimes knows our horses as well or better than we do.

So maybe the problem is that we want one person to be held accountable for a terrible accident when in fact, we could all be liable, and rightly so. If we hold more than one person accountable, maybe more than one person will come up with better ideas. We are a team. We ALL have a responsibility to the horse, the owner more than others, but if we all take credit for the good rides, then we all are accountable for the bad rides. If "WE just don't know enough" as one person quoted a vet as saying, then certainly ONE person can't know it all.

I can't fathom what happened at WEG. How a horse dropped dead after leaving a vet hold is certainly a mystery to me. A heart attack would be something that couldn't be predicted I guess, or an aneurysm. I am not sure it is fair to hold that rider accountable 100% because they leased the horse. Where was the owner's accountability? The rider was given the go ahead to leave the vet hold. I don't know what the details were but I think more than one person was responsible.

Education is the key, yes, but we need information. Information on horse deaths needs to be forthcoming in order for us to learn. Not who is to blame, but how did it happen. Were these unpredictable deaths, such as a heart attack, or was something missed? This information needs to come from AERC.

We have to own up to our responsibilities to our horses both as owners and as a team when it is time to compete. And, what we do IS competition. Even AERC has an obligation to the members to inform and educate on such matters. If all the information is sent to a central location and then not shared with the members, how will we ever know anything??

No one has ever learned anything without making a mistake.

Lisa Salas, The ODd Farm
John said he NEVER made a mistake until he met me. He said getting that first horse was the biggist mistake he ever made. But now we have six! Did he learn anything?? I think not. He's so funny!