[RC] Preventing Treated Horses at Rides - Ideas Please - Stagg_Newman

Folks,

Would like to start on a thread on ideas of how to prevent treated horses at
rides.
IMO greatly reducing the number of treated horses is one of the most important

actions we can take to improve the sport. Moreover with increased scrutiny

from animal welfare activists and others, it is one of the most important.

And it is the right thing to do for the horse.

I would suggest separating the discussion into three areas:

1. What are the reasons we have to treat horses and the early warning signs?

As Dr. Jeannie Waldron frequently says, one of the problems is "we just don't

know enough". So what do we need to do to learn more?

2. What are actions that we as riders and crew can take to prevent our horses

from needing treatment?

3. What if any changes should ride management or ride vets consider to

prevent horses from needing treatment?

I will offer to compile the ideas received and then distribute to ridecamp.

And if warranted we can the get the ideas more widely disseminated as I firmly

believe rider education may be our most important tool.

In order to get the discussion going, here is my first idea.

WE AS RIDERS SHOULD TAKE THE HORSE'S PULSE JUST BEFORE LEAVING A HOLD

AND ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Rationale: I believe one of the best indicators of how a horse is doing is

the pulse at the end of the hold period. My belief is the pulse of the horse
that is doing well
should continue to decline during the hold period. If at the end of the hold
period the
pulse is down into the 40s then the horse is not likely to have metabolic
problems
on the next loop. On the other hand if the horse's pulse is hanging at 60 or

has gone even higher than at the vetting in, that is a red flag the something
is
wrong. A few rides have tried exit checks at some holds and they do seem to
find
some horses that are starting to have problems. But we as riders do not

need to rely on ride management. We can check the horse's pulse and then if we
are
concerned check with the veterinarians, slow our pace, and/or withdraw.

In addition to posting on Ridecamp, please cc me directly at

staggandcheryl@xxxxxxxxxxx since work sometimes

interferes with my keeping up to date on Ridecamp. Have to pay for the

horse somehow :>)

Stagg Newman

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.