[RC] [Guest] living with ATVs - Ridecamp Moderator

Marlene Moss mossrockendurance@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was wondering if anyone on this list has found a way to deal with ATVs on
the roads, trespassing or on their own property if subdivision covenants
either can't or won't deal with the problem?

I live in a rural area about 25 miles from town.  We moved here to enjoy
the horses and quiet.  At one point the subdivision had covenants
prohibiting ATVs, but they changed it and the type of people in the
neighborhood is slowly changing from those owning horses to those owning
ATVs (and dirt bikes).  We aren't part of the subdivision, just next to it
or we would have known about the change.  Lots of people aren't happy, but
they don't think they can do anything about it.

Our newest neighbor has spent the last 6 months completely stripping 5
acres to put in a race track for the kids.  Now people come from all over
to use it.  I know they aren't legally allowed on the roads, but I can't
get the sheriff to come out because he knows he won't catch them at it.  I
plan on trying to take pictures, but honestly, just getting them off the
roads isn't my goal.  I would prefer to get some sort of noise ordinance in
place so I don't have to listen to it.  It's become a nuisance whenever the
sun is up and the kids aren't in school.

I would rather meet them on trails - that is where I take my horses that
are prepared for them.  It's not fun trying to start a new horse or have my
trainer trying to give lessons to children when they are charging the fence
and hoping to see an accident.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has found a way to deal with something like
this legally.  Believe me, I've tried the "be nice and ask politely" route
- it didn't work.  The kids are extremely rude and the adults just want to
keep the kids out of the house.  I've even had the trespassers say that
they don't want to tear up their own land, so are pretty happy with using
the land that hasn't been built upon where the owners are out of state.

I would love to just move at this point, but I've built up a lot of horse
amenities and no one with a horse would want to move here now.  I need to
find a horsey wife and mechanic husband and kids who like ATVs - they'd
love this place!

Please feel free to respond to me privately - I really don't want to start
a war here and it's only partially horse related.  Like I said, I'd rather
even share trails with motorized vehicles if necessary, I just don't need
to be terrorized by them all day long!

Thanks for any advice!
Marlene