Re: [RC] Small Horese (Do very well) - Stagg_Newman

Crysta,

IMHO small is beautiful and better if you are a light rider!

Dr. Kerry Ridgeway, AERC Hall of Fame veterinarian and rider, says the
horses that
stay in the sport the longest are typically between 14 and 14h3.

As evidence at the North American Championship in 1993, 3 of the first
4 finishers were under 14h3: R.O. Grand Sultan
(aka 3 time world champion and winner, Ramegwa Drubin (aka pony and 3rd
that day
and Ramegwa Kanavyann (3rd the prior year in the World's and 4th that day).
All horses that day were carrying at least 165 lbs.

My horse Drubin is only 14h1.  He has done over 50 100 mile completions
with
in 1-day 100s (over 30), 2-day 100s,and 3-day CTRs.  And not all of the
miles
were slow :>).  "Pony" as I call him is still going strong at age 20.

Note that with tack I ride about 165.

As long as the feet are well formed they should be fine for the size of the
horse.

BTW our youngest horse that will be doing his first serious competition
this year
is also only 14h1. His feet are also relatively small but well formed.

Basically most breeds of horses were not made to be bigger than about 14h3.
John Crandell, III, 4 time winner of the Old Dominion, has studied Arab
conformation extensively and believes that once an Arab gets taller than
about 14h3, there is probably an underlying structural weakness.  We have
bred taller horses but not necessarily sounder horses.  So I say go for
the small sound horses!

Stagg Newman

From: Aaron Turnage <ajandcrysta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Small Horses

I'm on the horse hunt for my new endurance prospect.  Went and looked at a
nice little mustang mare this weekend.  She's great, nice straight legs,
good strong back, deep heart girth, long hip, lots of go, and a willing
personality.  My only concern is that she's only about 14.1 or so.  She has
00 feet, but they are in good shape (my husband used to be a farrier and is
accredited from the OK school).  I'm 5'6" and tack in around 150 lbs or so.
When I rode her this weekend, I didn't "feel" too big for her, and my
husband said that I looked good on her, not out of proportion.

Is this size acceptable for endurance?  The small feet concern me more than
anything....  Any personal experience with competing on small horses?
Special care?  Things to look out for?  At this point, she's still a
prospect but I was just wondering if her size would be an issue or not.

Thanks!

Crysta

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.