Re: [RC] - Barbara McCrary

I smile as I read answer #2 and remember that when I was a child (MANY years ago) any horse over 8 was considered over the hill.  One simply did NOT buy a horse over 8 years old.  Isn't is wonderful to discover this is not true?  Or is it mostly Arabs that hit their prime in their teens?  Perhaps it is the conditioning and the care our distance horses receive that lengthens their usable lifetime.  Anyway, thinking back many decades, it makes me chuckle to think that no one wanted to buy a horse over 8 years old.  Good grief!  They haven't even started getting GOOD until 9 or 10!

Barbara McCrary
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [RC]

1. at least in the MW I have seen kids of any possible age from a negative 2 months on up.  Even had one mother nurse at rest stops.  As long as there is supervision, the kids have a ball.

2. Horse age.  Distance horses hit their prime in the middle teens.  One of our Minnesota year end award horse is in his mid 20's.  If they are brought along properly, there is no reason an older horse can't successfully compete.

Ed
Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th Street
Hudson, WI 54016