[RC] backup horse... was Horse Decisions - Rides 2 Far

Find a way to keep both.  > Sorry, this doesn't work.  You just end
up with 2 lame horses.  ;-)

I've had no luck with the backup horse thing either.  It's expensive if
you keep both shod.  If you don't and just call the farrier after horse
#1 goes lame he'll be sound by the time the farrier gets there. You can
either keep horse #1 worked...or keep 2 horses 1/2 worked. If you just
leave horse #2 out to pasture till horse #1 goes lame horse #1 will be
sound before you have #2 conditioned for a ride.  It's also stressful.
You never have that "I rode yesterday so today is guiltfree down time".
*Somebody* always needs ridden.

I remember Susan Kasemayer telling me that she decided to raise a foal
every other year or something like that, so she'd always have a horse
coming up.  About the time she had all those horses coming up she hitched
up with Royal Run Amir who she put over 5,000 miles on in the following
years...and ended up with a field full of unbroke aging horses. >g<

My theory is enjoy what you've got. Focus your attention on one horse.
When he's gone...find another one.  In the interum you can help somebody
else out by riding their backup horse for them. They'll welcome the help.
If you really *want* a second horse, O.K. But Sadie sounds too nice to
waste and there's people out there who *need* her.

By the way, Ed is being pretty humble in his description of Sawyer.  Who
cares if he's "grade". He looks like turbo built Morgan/Arab with the
heavy duty towing package.  Just what every heavyweight is out there
beating the bushes for.

One more little addition.  If you keep your horses at home and Sawyer &
Sadie are your only horses...you may have one lonely horse if you sell
her.  If I sold his last buddy I'd go out and buy a pony to be his bud.

Angie