Re: [RC] gaited horses - Duncan Fletcher

----- Original Message -----
From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

David & Maggie wrote:

rack--4 beat gait; action is more vertical; very smooth; when viewed
from behind, the tail looks like waves of water traveling downward;
very little head bob, but more than a non-gaited horse; can be lateral
or diagonal, but more often lateral; if the horse isn't 'in his gaits
well' it will not be evenly cadenced

A good rack should be exactly 4 beat - not lateral nor diagonal. It is a
pretty high headed gait. The rack should be fast.

Even 4 beat in set down, but uneven in pickup timing. The result is front
legs off the ground for a longer period of time than rears and a longer
period of time supported by lateral pairs than diagonal pairs, therefore
support is more lateral.

running walk--foreleg action is more reaching; head bob is more
pronounced; 4 beats, tends to be lateral gait; should be evenly cadenced

A good running walk should be exactly 4 beat also. It is a walk that is
speeded up with lots of overstride and a pronounced head nod. The front
end should be light. I've heard the running walk looks like they are
trotting in front and walking in back.

Even cadence (set down timing) and also equal pickup timing. The horse
spends equal time supported by lateral pairs and diagonal pairs.

singlefoot--very little action; this gait is a 'get there comfortably'
thing, and not showy; the tail thing is really obvious; can be lateral
or diagonal, although the Appalachian Singlefooter Horse Breeders
prefer diagonal; supposedly, there is a period when only one foot is
on the ground; it is a very evenly cadenced gait; this is the gait
that most non-gaited breeds do if they are going to do something
'odd'; it can be a very fast gait

Timing similar to the rack. When pickup timing changes enough there is a
period of time when both fores are off the ground at the same time and the
horse is supported by a single rear - hence singlefoot.

Missouri Foxtrot--I am not an expert here, I've ridden one once; very
smooth; pronounced head bob; unevenly cadenced; obvious tail thing;
they tell you they walk in front and trot in back (or is it the other
way around?), but that makes no sense to me.

See the walking horse, the MFT is said to look like he is walking in
front and trotting in the back. The foxtrot doesn't have the overstride
of the running walk so it doesn't have the pronounced head nod. A good
one is an exact square 4 beat giat.

A four beat gait, but not even. It is  a broken  trot with setdown timing.
If the gait is an exact 4 beat (setdown), itis either a rack or runningwalk,
not foxtrot. Since a trot by definition is simultaneous set down of a hind
and opposite fore and therefore requires both front and rears, it is
impossible to trot on only fronts or rears.

Paso Fino and Peruvian Paso gaits--Again, I've ridden a Peruvian once
and seen several Paso Finos; lateral gait; very smooth; they have
names for several different pacing-type gaits; they tend to 'paddle'
their front feet; less pronounced head bob

The Peruvian Paso's paso llano gait has timing essential equivilent to
running walk although may tend toward a rack. The sobreandando is a stepping
pace (broken pace). The horse overstrides (or at least caps) but to a
smaller degree than a RW. The "paddling" (termino) in the Peruvian
originates in the shoulder and is a desired (within reason). Paso Finos
generally do not exhibit termino and it is not desired (there is a limited
amount of Peruvian blood in some Paso Finos and there are a few Peruvians
that are cross registered - PF registry no longer permits this and the
Peruvian Registries never allowed PFs).

If anyone can elaborate or correct me, like I said, I'm not an expert.
It's been a long time since I sold my Singlefooter mare. She would
rack when 'psyched up', running walk when shod heavy in front,
singlefoot in the pasture and on trail. My Morgan gelding's sire was
also a registered racking horse. He made the difference between rack
and singlefoot obvious. He did both beautifully. Both my mare and
gelding did well in distance sports.

It should also be noted that no gait is 'pure' - If you could measure
accurately enough, even with the best trot hooves never land exactly
simultaneously or with the best RW land with exactly even timing. There is a
continuum from one gait to another and the line where the gait changes from
one to the other can be somewhat arbritrary. If you are interested in more,
go over to the "gaitedhorse" list at yahoo groups and pay particular
attention to Lee Ziegler. It should also be noted that many of these horse
(particularly walkers) do a stepping pace. Show standards have encouraged
this and most horses will tend toward the pace when pressed for speed.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@xxxxxxx