[RC] Bringing along a new horse. - Stagg_Newman

Stephanie,

You asked for tips on bringing a horse along from the beginning.

I would recommend going to the AERC web site and reading the Rider Handbook
Section on Conditioning (url follows):

C:\Documents and Settings\StaggNewman\My Documents\Jayel Super\AERC
Handbook - Conditioning.htm

I personally do less conditioning and give more rest than what the handbook
calls for.  But the riding I do do is
in the mountains, I spend several years to get a horse ready, and our
horses are turned out in a 10 acres field
with a good slope so they get exercise every day.  I am a strong believer
in giving horses at least 3 days a week
off if they have good turn-out.

You may also want to read Lew Hollander's book, Endurance Riding from
Beginning to Winning or one of the other
books, I mentioned in a recent ridecamp post.

What is important is too do regular assessment and then give plenty of rest
if any signs of lameness or
slow pulse recovery or horse seems to be getting lethargic.

Stagg

                    Stefffi_c

                    <stefffi_c@y        To:     Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                    ahoo.com>           cc:

                    02/01/2003          Subject:     Re: [RC]   Building a
base - Competition schedule
                    12:45 AM

Stagg,

I noticed in your post that you mentioned you were in
the Western North Carolina Moutains. I'm currently
about twenty miles west of Shelby and twenty miles
east of Charlotte in a little town called "Gastonia".
I'm an endurance newbie; trying for my first ride this
fall with a wonderful Spanish Mustang Mare.

Could you give me some tips on bringing a horse along
from the beginning? My mare is unregistered; she is
supposed to be a mustang that was "stolen" off the
plains by a ranch in Texas and brought here by a horse
trader. She was supposed to be six when I purchased
her, but after doing some research I believe her to be
five now. Hopefully I didn't do any permanent harm to
her riding her early, but there's nothing I can do to
change that now! She's been out to pasture for six
months; she had gotten strangles and had some tendon
issues last year, so I decided to let her have some
time off.

We're also looking for a saddle for her. Right now I'm
looking at an Ortho-Flex, Crates, Abetta, and Keiffer.
I'm not very paticular if you know of any saddles in
the 200 - 500 range to get us by for a year or so
until her back is more developed, then I have plans on
going custom/semi-custom for her.

TY,
Stephanie

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.