[RC] feeding the older horse - Nancy Reed

Happy New Year to All!

I just returned from an awesome ride, about 60 degrees, clear sky, no dust and only a few mud spots. ?Saw 2 deer, but didn’t see the bobcat.? Its days like today that make me remember why I live here and put up with all the B.S.

Anyway, I have a 23 year old Quarter horse mare that looks like a 15 year old. I am no expert on this, but the combo really works well for me. ??I feed her bermuda grass and ½ leaf of alfala the a.m.? In the p.m. she gets Bermuda grass with 1 pound of Manna Senor, one pound of bermuda pellets, ½ pound of MaxieGlo (new less expensive version of NaturalGlo, stabilized rice bran) and hoof and joint supplements. She has her teeth done by an equine dentist each fall.

?This seems like a lot, but Sierra has had several bad quarter cracks, but has never been lame or under weight. ?She is worth her weight in gold as she is my training horse who baby sits both human and equine youngsters.? I am so thankful we found her as she has made many of my horse dreams come true. ?I could not have taken on Lyric our 5 year old Arab mare with out Sierra.? Sierra has also taught my daughter many things, not the least of which is love and patience. ?Our family is truly blessed by her presence and every day I thank God for her.? I may sound a bit far out here, but I will feed her whatever it takes to keep her healthy, she deserves nothing less.

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California

P.S. new saddle should arrive Saturday and Lyric’s loafing days are over!