[RC] Multi-day point to point? - Jonni Jewell

David LeBlanc  posted >>> say you have a very large rig, (over 50' hooked
up), and you didn't have a ready crew that could drive the rig. If you were
going to do a point to point under these circumstances, how would you manage
it?<<<

I hope you are considering doing the XP2004. The XP2001 was a wonderful
adventure. I crewed for a friend, and saw a few different situations that
others used for transporting the rig, and extra horses to the next camp each
day. The largest rig, Don and Sandy Skinners was a semi, converted to living
quarters and horse area. Don drove, and Sandy rode. My guess the driver
would have needed a CDL to drive that rig, but not 100% sure. Jim Mitchell
had a very large rig, and he hired local drivers from the area we were in,
to drive for a week or so at a time, then hired another person on in the
next section of trail. You might inquire with him as to his suggestions.
Many riders had good luck hiring college kids who were out for the summer to
drive. Some had limited trailering experience before the event, but were
taught how to drive the rig, park, etc. in route to the ride start I
believe. Beg friends or family to come along, and tell them what "fun" they
will have. Run an ad in the classifieds or post a note on the XPriders web
site that you need a crew. My strongest suggestion is to make sure if you do
hire someone, to really make sure you AND the crew fully understand the
duties, and what will be expected of them. Also, details as to pay, meals,
sleeping area etc. need to be understood before the ride starts. Many riders
had crews quit on them from misunderstandings. Some riders were not
providing meals, OR pay. Some crews were only offered "special diets" that
were of the liking of the rider. (ie: rider was vegetarian, crew was not) As
basic and simple as this sounds, these types of things can cause issue if
not understood before the ride starts. Is the rider to do any horse care? Or
JUST drive??? If indeed you are considering the XP2004, think ahead on
duties as to laundry, fueling the rig, buying groceries, dumping RV holding
tanks etc. etc. Communication ahead of time, will save you misery later.

Of course, your last choice is to rotate the days of who rides, and your
spouse drives that day. I am sure that when everyone comes back from Death
Valley, they will have some thoughts to share.

Jonni in TX