Re: [RC] head shaking - Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

Hello! I have a similar problem with my mare, who often tries to yawn but
can't fully open her jaw. So far, to research it, I've had her teeth
floated and
chiropractic work. Her atlas and jaw are out of line, which is causing
blockage all the way back to her back  diagonal hip. This has caused her
problems
with turning on the fore.  Next step massage! She is greatly improving,
though
still a mystery! I would investigate using some experts, it's very
informative!

I agree with Heidi that poor dentition is top of the list.  The stiffness
and pain that comes from bad teeth can really cause alot of stiffness
through the jaw, poll, neck and topline from bracing against the discomfort.
It's not magical, but there's a nice sort of diagnostic point used in
acupuncture and myofaschial release that will tell you alot about whether
you horse is experiencing stiffness and pain when you ask him/her to give to
the bit.  Reach up behind the ears just an inch or so back and an inch or so
lateral to the line of the mane.  You'll feel a little soft divot where a
lot of ligaments cross.  Press down gently on this divot with steady
pressure, as much as your horse will tolerate without actively avoiding the
pressure.  Keep the pressure on and you'll feel the spot start to "give"
around 30 seconds or so.  Press a little harder as the spot continues to
soften.  Gradually release the spot after about a minute and go around to do
the same thing on the other side of the neck.

This move softens a lot of the tightness through the poll and is also a good
indicator of the amount of tension in the area.  There are several other
points throughout the jaw, poll and neck that are also very useful, but not
very easily described as to their location.  If the above spot seems painful
and reactive, then I'd take it as a good indication to get someone out to
help with some bodywork---either equine massgae, acupuncture, chiropractor,
whatever, once you've had the initial dental work seen to.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM