Re: [RC] F.W. Duck Editorials - Truman Prevatt

Here in lies the crux of the matter. Endurance as defined by the AERC and implemented through the AERC rules is both riding and racing at the same event. But we have evolved to the state where there are really two different events in the mind of some. Some argue that these different events require different standards of control points. Some argue that they don't, but that's not the issue the Duck addresses.

If you accept the Duck's premis that a ride is not a race, that the riders accept more responsibility for their horses on a ride hence control is not as critical as in a race, then what the Duck says makes perfect sense and he would be right if all events were segregated by "ride" or "race."  The probelm arises because the AERC by it's rules doen't allow for such segregation. Any ride is open to all comers and there is no provision to require that a rider that shows up at the Bo Diddley Memorial 5 day ride not show up for day 3 and race the snot of our their horse against the clock so they can put up some good numbers to prepare the horse for a sell or to put in a "fast 50" to prepare their horse for a big race in Dubai.

This I see as the problem and what has spwaned much of  the debate. Many people go to the Tevis to ride, some go to race and we have dead horses at the Tevis.  This is the issue that has to be grappled with - the balance between race and ride which impacts the large majority of our events. The numbers show that many of the events that are supposed to be rides are actually quite fast (if they are the full distance). So people are in race mode at most rides. How the AERC resloves the dichotomy between riding and racing will define how well the AERC can address the horse welfare issue. Not an easy problem and it will probably impact all of us. Change is never easy and our sport has changed  - even in the short time I've been inolved - and it will continue to change.

Hope all of you had a Merry Christmas.

Truman

Duck writes:

Obviously, long distance horse racing is a sport with great potential for death and serious injury to the horses and riders. Everyone should understand and agree that endurance racing needs a lot of control. Similarly, everyone should agree that a group of horsemen out for a long ride don't need the controls required in a race. . Endurance Racing is a strenuous sport that places severe stress on the equine athletes. I personally believe that horses should race no more than once or twice a year. On the other hand, I know that horses can ride 30 to 60 miles a day, five day a week, essentially forever.  I believe that the time has come for AERC to take the middle road and formulate rules to address the needs of both factions of our sport

I believe that ride managers should make clear to prospective entrants just what kind of event they are coming to. XP Rides and Sunrise Ranch Rides emphasize riding over racing. We offer meager awards and give no recognition to placing in the various divisions. I submit that the ride itself is the reward. We stress the responsibility of the rider in caring for the horse and use the services of veterinarians to help the riders get through the event safely. Our approach has worked well for us in the past and we hope that it will continue to work for us in the future.
His pre-ride talk must be one of the most interesting ones around.