[RC] SADDLE "FIT" DATABASE strategy, for the record. - Robert Ferrand

Dear Mike,

Thank you for a number of very good points. Please let me explain the SADDLE "FIT" DATABASE strategy, for the record.

1. The three slashes in
http://www.saddletech.com  is obviously a typo error, and will be corrected on subsequent releases.

2. This "Research" is NOT being done to support any commercial operation. In fact, the OPPOSITE IS TRUE. Just as pharmaceutical companies support human clinical research that is also related to compounds they are developing for the benefit of millions of people, this is common in the U.S.and there is nothing wrong with this practice. Since we have developed and patented the only "objective" horse and saddle method that employs the "scientific method", we are in a far better position to understand the data and provide that data as a service to the equestrian community. Our focus as a company is to go beyond "mythology and opinion" to the modern world of "objective data" supporting research. The validity of the research stands on the "data" itself, not whether a saint is running the computer....that is the whole point of employing the "scientific method". This company provides measurement instruments and calibrated manufacturing methods that employ the "scientific method".

3. You make a very good point about adjustable saddles, and I will give that some thought on how to address this issue and create a new section which addresses dynamic and adjustability. VERY VERY GOOD POINT.

4. I tried to address the delta between a saddle that initially FITS and then DOESN'T FIT- with the questions relating to the "replacement and refit of the 2nd saddle, as well as the use of a saddle pad to correct the problem, which is why I asked about the 'time" to determine NOT FIT.

5. Your fifth point, gets really to the issue of why we are best suited to conduct this research, because we are the only company that has actually developed a method to measure the difference between static and dynamic saddle fit. The real challenge to determining saddle fit is the saddle and rider are in the way of the measurement. If you measure the horse WITHOUT SADDEL AND RIDER,  unladen, and statically, such as with baling wire, card board templates, plaster casts,  or thermoform plastic,  you are really measuring something different than the shape of the horse's back with the saddle and rider's weight in the saddle.

If you measure one thing and then totally change the equation you really have two different events, but only one measurement. So to accurately measure a saddle with the rider there needs to be a method to correct for this error.
To accomplish this task, we need a Two Factor Theory; one measurement device is not enough. To achieve any reasonable accuracy requires at least one measurement device that can 'OBJECTIVELY" measure "PRESSURE'  that can be calibrated to a known reference STANDARD and a second device that can be calibrated to the first device that can measure the three dimensional shape of the horse's back and corresponding saddle.

So back to the point, many riders will not be able to accurately determine the static or dynamic fit, which is important data in its own right. The goal here, is also to understand what equestrians have been told, and what they believe. The fact that this data ignores physics is not the issue. The issue is to understand what equestrians understand about saddle fit.

Your points relating to the quality of construction, suitability for endurance riders and comfort for the rider, are good points. The focus of our company is to PROTECT THE HORSE, because we believe the riders can speak for themsleves, nonetheless, I will add appropriate questions to address the riders point of view.

Your point that the entry form is improperly designed to provide statistically relevant data because all fields are "free-form entry" is NOT CORRECT. Currently, we are making a WIDE sweep of the ENTIRE EQUESTRIAN COMMUNITY - WORLD WIDE, which comprises 80+ breeds of horses, and as many cross breeds, in a multitude different disciplines, with an undefined number of different types of saddles, so that we all can better understand what equestrians actually believe about saddle fit. This is far too early in the research for constraint the data, as ou suggest.

I appreciate that you understand that such "research" is WORTHWHILE,  The fact that we are in horse and saddle measurement instrument business, makes us the ideal company to do this research, because we provide the equestrian community the instruments for them to understand the PHYSICS OF SADDLE FIT. We have NO VESTED INTEREST in the results of the research, no matter which way it goes, because, we just provide the measurement insttruments and the data.

Thank you again, for a number of very good suggestions which we will incorporate in this database.. This is an equestrian community effort, so that we can ALL better understand how to BETTER PROTECT OUR HORSES.

Robert Ferrand
Saddle Researcher