[RC] A Newbies Ramblings & a Heartfelt Thank You â?? Part I - Leslie

Iâ??ve just experienced my first year in endurance riding.  It was a big year
for me with a move from New Mexico to Ohio thrown in for good measure.  I
remember after the first LD of the Michigan shore-2-shore ride, Dr. Ray said
something about me doing fairly well for someone who claimed not to know
anything â?? I tend to be pretty vocal about my lack of expertise in the sport.
Well truth be told, Iâ??ve still got SO much to learn, but it did make me
realize what I do know and who I have to thank for that knowledge.  So hats off
to my good friend and endurance mentor Kathy Myers (aka magnumsmom@xxxxxxx).
Although Iâ??m sure I would have made it into the endurance arena eventually;
in say 5 years or so, I would have never gotten there as quickly as I did
without Kathy.  She taught me all the basics and then some.  And she had the
tremendous patience to accompany me every step of the way.  In just a little
over a years time she generously spent countless hours preparing me.  Her
trailer sat in my driveway for weeks while I worked on getting my horse Merlin
to load.  Then there were the training rides.  Sheâ??d generally spend about
four hours in driving time alone to pick Merlin and I up, accompany us on a
ride, and then deliver us home again.  When it was time for my first LD she
couldnâ??t be there but did lend me her truck so I could make it.  When it was
time for my first 50 she led the way and patiently let me waddle through the
vet checks at my snails pace â?? Iâ??d generally need an extra 30 minutes or
so!  There were lessons in easyboots, trail etiquette, and a zillion other
things.  In retrospect I learned so much from her, and ultimately would not
have enjoyed this past year, if it had not been for all that she taught me.

What follows is a mix of appreciation and gratitude, along with a few anecdotal
tips, newbie ramblings, and laughs on both of us.  Please enjoy.  And as for
Kathy and her husband Pete, Blue the horse and Jasper the doggie, all back in
New Mexico â?? we miss you terribly.  Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a
Happy New Year!

CREWING â?? (The Fine Art of Trailer Camping)

I met Kathy at work and we were basically insta-friends once we both found out
we were interested in Endurance riding.  I believe this happened within the
first 5 minutes of conversation.  Anyway, being very intimidated by all that
this great challenge would involve, I decided that crewing for Kathy would be a
great way for me to scope everything out.  So in April of 2002 I tagged along
with Kathy and her horse Blue to the Binns ranch just south of Socorro for the
Indian Springs 50.  Now the plan was to trailer camp and mind you I am not fond
of camping.  In fact my former Boy Scout husband has been trying to get me to
go camping for eight years.  He should have known all he had to do was bring a
horse!