[RC] animal welfare concerns - Laura Hayes

welfare people will really do something? I know if there are horses dying,
then they'll do something, but I don't want to call them just to have them
do nothing.<<<<

My suggestion, having been the Executive Director of an SPCA, and it's animal cruelty investigator, is to study the animal cruelty and neglect laws in your state, and what may be on the books locally.  Now ask yourself "does what I am seeing appear to be against the law?"

An animal agency can not force anyone to change their husbandry habits if there is no statute against whatever it is that you are uncomfortable with.  What they can do, is education or persuasion to change the animal owner's care.  Some agencies are better at that than others.

Get to know your local agency and see where they stand on benign neglect.  Do they have someone in place who can educate horse owners in a non threatening way?  Many small non profit shelters or public shelters do not - they are not able to afford that specific type of employee.  Maybe there is a place for you to volunteer?

I would suggest in thinking about stepping in to report someone, that you really think hard about whether the animal is really suffering.  If it is a case of an adult pony living alone, he may never need vaccinations and worming or a coggins....I know that is not what we would do, but may not really be at risk...As far as hoof care- some horses can do fine with minimal care- are they suffering?  If they are impaired to the point of being lame, then yes, they are suffering, but if they have unsightly feet, well, they most likely are not in pain- what can be done?

One of the biggest problems I saw as an animal welfare agent, was people who wanted me to impose their standard of care on others.  It just won't fly.  I could speak to the owner about care, but I couldn't force them to change- then the complainant would be mad at me and accuse me of 'doing nothing.'

I could go on and on,but it is 12:09 Eastern Standard Time on December 25.  If I don't get to bed soon, Santa won't stop here.....

Laura Hayes AERC#2741