RE: [RC] [RC] AF vs. OF - terry banister

Because no one had an American Flex saddle in endurance when I was saddle shopping, I did some research. The OrthoFlex saddle was the first flexible-panel saddle on the American market, using leather-covered wood trees and delrin for the panels. The OrthoFlex is a beautiful looking saddle. However, during its history, the company did put out some saddles with inconsistant, poor quality control and customer service, which is why some people either love them or hate them.
All the other flexible-panel saddles that came onto the market since then (Reactor Panel, American-Flex, Free 'n Easy, Timberline, Rocking R, Sommer Oakfield, and the JG Ranch Flex Panel saddles) use leather, wood and delrin, but in order not to infringe on patent rights, they all have different engineering of the panels, and attach the panels to the tree in very different ways.

I chose the American-Flex, because it is made in Germany, and I liked the technology put into the panels. What's inside the panels that you don't see is what is important - and different in each of the flex-panel brands. The German no-frills appearance and solid engineering is what you get with the AF, (and I ride without a sheepskin seat cover, and the extra-padded seat works just fine).
The machine laser-cut delrin panels of the AF saddle are triple-layered for progressive loading and weight disbursement over the large surface area, and fingered for optimum flex and adaptation to movement and growth. The company now offers a system VII that will fit even more horses, you don't need a technical expert to fit the saddle to the horse. I believe the OF does not have the machinery to laser-cut the panels and they are still single-layered.

The second reason I chose the AF is not because of the saddle, but because of the COMPANY.
It is my understanding that current Saddle Works Company just bought the OrthoFlex name from the previous owner, and the current saddles are not even the same product as the original OF. It is also my understanding that OF company is currently looking for a buyer.
Also, there are a couple unstable saddle companies out there that have filed for bankruptcy, but are still selling their flexible-panel saddles. In your reference to saddles imitating Tucker saddles for less, the same thing goes on with the panel-saddle market, but sometimes that can be an improvement. Also, in reference to Tucker, they were just bought out by Circle Y, so you will be seeing some changes there.

"the AF. Functionally, it should perform just as well as the OF. It just ain't as pretty and doesn't look
as comfy. Will it hold up as well as the OF? That is the question."

Cathy from Hillview Farms answered this for me in CAPS:

ALL SADDLES NEED TO BE MAINTAINED, MY Ortho-Flex LASTED FOR 13,000 MILES WITHOUT
THE PROPER CARE, MY NEW AM-F PANELS WILL LAST TWICE THAT, NOW THAT A COMPANY
TOLD ME HOW TO PROPERLY CARE FOR THE PANELS.

"A saddle should be thought of as an investment in your horses health and
well being. If it doesn't fit right, your horse will have all kinds of
problems, no matter how much the saddle cost."

SO VERY TRUE... WHAT EVER SADDLE YOU BUY, MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET A TRIAL
PERIOD ON THE REAL SADDLE, NOT A TEST SADDLE, AND ALSO ARE ABLE TO GET YOUR
MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!! THEN THE CUSTOMER CAN DECIDE IF THEY REALLY LIKE THE
SADDLE AND THAT ALSO SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT THE COMPANIES CONFIDENCE IN THEIR
PRODUCT
Terry
"May the Horse be with you"