Re: [RC] Livestock I.D. - Truman Prevatt

While high traffic sites, shopping malls, night clubs, etc. or targets of particular emotional meaning, school buses, schools, etc.  (just look at the targets in Israel ) would provide terrorist the biggest bang for the buck all soft targets need to provided some protection. The food supply is such a soft target. The good news is biological weapons while having a dooms day connotation are fairly difficult to "waponize," difficult to deploy and don't do all that much damage compared to say a dirty nuclear device in downtown NYC.

The anthrax attacks of a couple of years ago - while scary did very little damage. In case of a terrorist attack on the live stock, the ability to rapidly identify the infected animals and the animals (and humans)  they had contact with would go a long way in defeating the attack and would be a good deterrent to such an attack. The best way to keep a potential target from becoming a target is to make it more difficult to attack and if attacked - less effective as a target.

Truman

Lydia Cassilly wrote:
Distinct possibility is too mild a term in regards to livestock being a terrorist target. I believe that it is merely a matter of time. Identification won't prevent such a disaster, but may slow the spread when it happens, and also identify animals to be destroyed/quarantined. However, I think the job is simply too large. (Not to mention the problems with compliance if people think they'll be taxed on every animal they keep.)These matters need to be taken very seriously indeed in this time of war. Don't think that horses are not a target. My school days were a very long time ago, but I still remember stories of Glanders being used as a bioweapon. Sorry Angie, but your horse could infect you and your dog (and maybe your cat too). It is a very real concern now for every sale barn, race meet, and national show. At least if we are aware of the (depressing) possibilities, we too can keep watch to protect ourselves and our critters. Panic? No. Vigilant without vigilante-ism. I believe every state is now working on their disaster plans for this, and preparedness is a good thing.