[RC] Death Valley Encounter New Years Party - DreamWeaver

Thought I'd post instructions on how to install a party hat on your horse in case you want to join in the party on New Year's Eve, December 31, 2003....the last day of the year that you'll get to do an endurance ride :-). So of course, our horses must PARTY all day long, it's only fair! When we are done riding that day, then we can have our own separate party all night (& since so many are in bed by midnight, we may as well make it one big party all day don't you guys think?)

Party Hat Installation Procedure. You will need:

Party Hats (cone shaped ones work the best)
Duct Tape
Hay String
Scissors
Halter or Bridle you ride your horse in
Horse for practicing on :+)

Line the inside of the hat on both sides with duct tape, then poke a hole on each end about an inch from the edge (opposite each other)....pull thru some hay string. You'll tie it in a knot around the bridle so that it will slide on and off. The string needs to be snug so it won't slide around. That's all there is to it!

Next: Put it on the horse!

Best to try this ahead of time, rather than in the morning of the start of a ride. My horses are so used to me doing kooky things with them that even Rocky didn't have a problem the first time I did this with him. Most horses that accept being haltered/bridled will probably be fine with it (but I'd still try it ahead of time to make sure)

Last year Rocky's hat made it back to Darwin ( http://members.aol.com/dierdorff/darwin/index.html ), then I had to take it off due to the winds shredding it. In other years the hats lasted all day. The horses that wear the hats seem to know that they are special. Or, maybe just that their owners are 'special' (okay so I'm being nice and not saying 'just weird')

Feel free to join the party! :-)

Happy Trails,
Karen
in NV