[RC] AF vs. OF - oddfarm

I have several Ortho-flex saddles. I don't have an American Flex but I did look at them at the convention. They are made basically the same. However, the AF is cheaper. Why? In my opinion it is because the material is cheaper, and they don't have the nice touches that OF has. If you look at the AF website http://www.american-flex.com you can see that some of the saddles have the studs across the back of the seat and on some of the skirting. This, to me is not attractive. It looks like it was nailed together. http://www.ortho-flex.com/  If you look on e-bay, you will find a saddle that looks like the Tucker endurance, but goes for about $300. Then, if you look at the real McCoy Tucker, you will see why it is more expensive. That is the same kind of difference between the OF and the AF.

The leather on the AF felt fake. It wasn't soft, it was very stiff. I have purchased three OF saddles brand new, and they were never, ever stiff. The seat and knee rolls felt like butter and even the bore's hide, although tough to scratch, was very pliable. I have four that I bought used. Two with snakeskin that were made in the early 80's. Gaudy as they are, they are still in great shape.

I know the OF doesn't fit every horse, but neither does any other saddle. The quality of the OF is without a doubt, right at the top. Nice leather, stainless hardware, beautiful tooling, the works. I also have one that they only made one of. It was for GaWaNi Pony Boy. It is basically a cut back, with knee and thigh rolls. The skirting and flaps are suppose to be water buffalo hide which is also very soft. I haven't been able to confirm that, but the saddle, even though a proto type, was very well made and comfy too. Customer Service with the previous owner wasn't that great, but the company now, is really trying hard to make up for that. Overall, it is a very nice quality saddle.

I don't sell these saddles, and I'm not a rep. I just love them and that's my opinion. I am not knocking the AF. Functionally, it should perform just as well as the OF. It just ain't as pretty and doesn't look as comfy. Will it hold up as well as the OF? That is the question. There are lots and lots of very nice, quality saddles out there. Have you seen Annie George's saddles? That is a pretty saddle. But even a plain Jane saddle, if it fits and is comfortable will do the trick.

A saddle should be thought of as an investment in your horses health and well being. If it doesn't fit right, your horse will have all kinds of problems, no matter how much the saddle cost.

Lisa Salas, the Odd fARM
I am an e-bayholic and I can't stop!