[RC] Historical Horses -- What? - Karen

In 2001 when we were riding on the Pony Express Trail we had lunch one day right next to the grave of a Pony Express horse who gave his life in the line of duty.  Below is copied from my journal from that date.  There is really something so special about riding thru so much history and thru country that is the same as it was in 1861.   Karen

Todays trail was also one of the best so far, with beautiful scenery, challenging climbs and beautiful weather. We left camp at Ruby Valley and got right back on the pony trail and started going thru valley and over mountain for the next 50 miles, finishing at Garden Summit....along the way we stopped where the Diamond Springs Pony Express station was for the lunch vet check. What is buried there (that's a statement not a ?). This is what was on the historical marker:
    "In September of 1860 Pony Express rider George "Boston" Scovell was attacked by concealed Indians after crossing "Chockop's Pass" and riding down Telegraph canyon. His ride was from Ruby Station when the attack occurred approximately three miles east of this site.

    He and his horse were both hit with arrows. The horse's name was "What". He got that name due to his question mark type blaze. "What" carried "Boston" safely to the station. This brave horse died due to his wounds from the arrows that day and was buried near the station."
http://www.endurance.net/2001xp/weekseven.html

Coincidentally...the next days trail finished at Bezetal's grave marker.