[RC] Saddle balance - and a little Idaho - Kris Hazelbaker

I am starting the Great Saddle Search in preparation for my new riding
horse.  Nevermind that he's been in my pasture since before he was
born....NOW he's old enough to ride!

One question that's been running through my mind is: which saddles have a
balanced seat to them?  I have an Australian saddle that definitely doesn't
(it's really tough to get out of the seat to post).  And I have an old
western saddle that's pretty good - easy to stand in the stirrups or post.
And I've ridden in an Ortho-Flex that had a nice balance to it.  Do most
Ortho-Flex saddles have that same balance?  What about other brands of
saddles?

I live in the boondocks of northern Idaho - there aren't any tack shops
around that carry a range of saddles to try out.  I hate to pay shipping for
a big selection of saddles to try out - so I thought maybe I could narrow my
choices by tapping your collective knowledge.

I don't have a real preference for style of saddle- though the endurance
type appeal to me.  I do like a deep seat.

Thanks much for your insights!

Kris in Idaho

p.s.  I also live in north-central Idaho, not too far south of where Steph
used to live.  I live at 3000' elevation, and I usually can ride the (rural,
gravel, low-traffic-level) roads around here all winter.  Trail riding would
be a problem - many feet of snow there.  Unless they are frozen, which is an
on-again/off-again deal, the roads are pretty cushiony this time of year.
The Lewiston area might be better for winter riding - 750 feet elevation,
little snow.  But I'm not familiar with many trail riding opportunities
there.