Re: [RC] Robert E. Lee Re his mount Traveller - heidi

O.K. then...since Thoroughbreds descended from 3 Arabian
Stallions...those three stallions are now Thoroughbreds using this
logic...right? Considering that Traveller was a gelding and didn't
directly contribute to anybody's line...seems like he just was what he
was. Heidi says her Arab gaited at times but that didn't turn him into a
Saddlebred either did it?

Wellll, not exactly....

Many specific individual sires contributed heavily to more than one breed.
Janus, the "progenitor" of the QH, has multiple crosses to The Godolphin
Arabian.  Janus himself was considered to be a TB.  You will find 20+
Arabian sires contributing to the TB--but the three "famous" ones are the
most common and the most ubiquitous in pedigrees.  Does that make them
TBs?  No, they were still Arabians.  But their offspring were selected for
a particular type that became TBs.  And other descendants were selected
for other traits and became QHs.  And still others became Morgans, and
Saddlebreds, and etc...

Traveller was by a TB stallion that was noted for siring "saddle horses"
and out of a mare of Saddlebred type.  I haven't looked to see when the
actual registry was formed, but I doubt that it was formed by Traveller's
day.  So "Saddlebreds" in that era were horses of a specific type bred by
people in that area.  Most breeders kept records of pedigrees.

I think the problem here is that folks are reading too much into the
concept of a "breed" given the times.

A few specific regiments in the Civil War were mounted exclusively on
"Saddlebreds" but you are right, Angie, that overall, the cavalries on
both sides of the war were mounted on whatever horses they could find.
Ideally, they tried to find horses of a type that best suited their
needs--but I'll betcha dollars to donuts that there were likely even a few
plowhorses pressed into service in desperation at times...

Heidi