Re: [RC] burping - Bette Lamore

Years ago when we had just bought our first horse together, Mark and I were asking the vet (a long and distinguished veteran of the race track-- one of the best leg men outside of Charlie Boles) why is it horses are so fragile with colic, as our mare had looked uncomfortable and we had called him immediately as a precaution. He explained to us in detail about how a horse was incapable of burping and hence would become extremely uncomfortable with gas.. and on and on.. just then Corinthia let out the most bodacious burb! Gary turned to her and said "YOu just had to make me out to be a liar, huh!?"
So much for medical wisdom-- horses will beat the odds every time.
Bette and Bunny, who really went against medical wisdom and triumphed!

Carol Stiles wrote:
Erica,
I have a new horse that's 6 years old now and he burps when he has an upset stomach. Last summer I put him out on some tall green grass for 15 minutes and it happened right after that. I have never seen a horse burp either, I didn't think they could. But because he was acting a little colicky also I rushed him to the vet. Of course the trailer ride over there cured him and by time we got there he jumped out of the trailer looking perfectly normal. The vet I went to said they've never heard a horse burp either. At least with this horse I now have a very clear sign of when he's got stomach problems.
Carol

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)