[RC] Countdown to Tevis-Long - Cowgirgoof

In a message dated 12/12/2003 9:01:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, MsPoOh17@xxxxxxx writes:

Hi!  wonderful post...I saved it and just read it!  Your dream is the same as mine, but your are really doing it!! Congratulations!

I live in Auburn.  I've done the same things you have; i.e. studied cougar rock photos, (and all the others), picked the brains of other riders, RC folks, my vet (he vets the ride)..anyone I can talk to.

I was planning on trying this year as it is the big 50 I believe.  But my husband was in an accident in June, and we have not much $$, and I haven't worked for 20 years..been looking for some type of work.  I don't have the funds to do the other required rides this year.  But I can still train and ride at least...just can't go far, Maybe next year for me!

None the less, it is good news to hear someone elses dream is coming true!  I will watch and root for you!! I always go to Foresthill and the fairgrounds at the end to watch the riders come in.  I observed all the vet checks and really tried to hear what they were saying about horses' condition as they came in at the finish.  Very exciting!

I'm thrilled for you and you sound so Jazzed!

By oh means, keep everyone posted on your progress!  maybe journal it from the beginning?

take care and happy happy trails to you and your horse!

kathie

Hi All,
After reading Kathie's reply to me, I realized there may be several ridecamp readers who might want to follow my horse and I's "program" for getting to Tevis from Florida.
So, if you are interested, read on...
Yesterday I received an e-mail from the WSTF (Western States Trail Foundation), that my entry has been processed and I'm in the Tevis ride for 2004.!
Some mornings I've already awakened in cold sweats with worry about everything from whether my entry arrived to "can my horse do this"??? (Heaven sakes, the ride is still 7 months off!!)
Tonight, I just got off the phone with Matthew Mackay-Smith discussing some "gas" issues I have had with my horse.(If any readers have horses who seem to produce excessive gas while exersising, please let me know what you've done to help them). My horse does not have a history of colic, only that he seems to become extra gassy about an hour into exercise. Feed & hay changes have helped him dramatically, but he still has some gas. (I took him off coastal hay completely). He used to seem like the gas bothered him somewhat, but now he passes it normally.
Dr. Mackay-Smith recommended I try giving him some mineral oil for a couple of nights before a hard training ride or competition. If that doesn't help, he suggested activated charcoal.
Last Thursday I did a 7 mile training ride by myself.  It was cold, sunny and a brilliant day to be thinking of Tevis as I rode. My horse was feeling so good it brought me to tears.
This past weekend, I photographed the Goethe Challenge down here in Central Florida. I'm starting to get some "flak" from some endurance buddies that believe I'm not riding enough. I tell them I have a carefully laid out plan for my season. I will have to be cautious to not over-train this horse. He has a wonderful "base" on him, and could get mentally burned out pretty easy. I'm riding a 50 in January at Jennings, and from there we will be doing 50's, 25's and the Fla 3-day 100 all through the spring. If all goes well, his real test ride will be the Ponce DeLeon 75 in mid April. This will be his longest ride in one day.
Debbie Foti has agreed to go on midnight training rides with me over in her neck of the woods in Withlacootche. And Jim Holland has offered me to stay at his place late next spring for some mountain training. He says he has places that will scare me!
January 1st I'm joining the National Training Center here in Clermont (a "super- gym" for tri-athletes in training). Hopefully I can get myself in as good of shape as my horse! I need to lose about 15-20 lbs, but I've done it before and can do it again. (this is kinda like the Dr. Phil weight loss challenge! I'll have a support group for Tevis training!)
Oh, and I'll be taking dressage lessons once a week and working cavelletti as well.
So any input or observations anyone has- send em my way...
I've attached a photo of Moyle Miles and I for those who are interested...
I'll keep you posted.

Click on the image to see your album.
cowgirgoof's Album: My Album
Click on the link above to view the 1 picture in this album. As the recipient, you can download, re-share and order prints and merchandise containing these pictures. Please do not use the owner's pictures in an unexpected way.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=