Re: [RC] What makes you do this? - DVeritas

In a message dated 12/15/2003 5:35:26 PM Mountain Standard Time, found1farm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I was impressed with the calm people who took the time to take care of their mounts, went slower, and came in with a 46 heart rate.
Hi Deb,
    What an interesting email.
    I, too, am impressed with the calm people you described in the above snippet.
    From reading your email, I believe you saw what you saw.  There are, as we all know, people involved in this sport for whom a tractor pull would be more appropriate considering all the empathy and compassion they possess.
    However, I believe the majority of riders involved in this sport love and care for their horses.
    Sometimes, we screw up.  Thank God the horse is such a resilient and forgiving creation...if he evinced man's propensity to judge and never forgive, a lot of us would be walking our next 50 or 100 and, most likely, most of us would get pulled, saving us from undue pain and suffering.
    Wait a moment, that's what happens to horses who shouldn't go on, ain't it....they get "pulled".....now, I understand.
    Getting "pulled" is not a bad thing after all, I guess.  It is for the horse's own good.  When horses get "pulled" it just means the system is working.
    For riders, it can (if used as a barometer of that horse's aptitude for the sport, conditioning efficacy, ability to handle stress, etc.) help fix the small problems that can be fixed or identify shortcomings in the horse or the rider and speak to whether that horse or that rider should be involved in this sport, or maybe help them get the help they need to improve their performance.
    I really think it is a matter of perspective and perception.
    I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there is a "learning curve" in this sport and if the system is effective and protects the horses, riders learn how to participate without wringing out every last ounce of effort from their horses.
    If riders don't learn after ample opportunity, I guess that's where the system needs a bit more help.
    Hopefully, with all the experienced and caring people involved in this sport, particularly in the "leadership" roles, it will just continue to get better and better for the horses...(operative word is "hopefully").
    I remember "fit at the walk".....my God, that was scarey...it IS better now and from monitoring the ongoing dialogues on Ridecamp and the Other List, we'll "get there".
    Frank