[RC] what makes me do this? - larry Miller

I LOVE IT period!  I love the trail, I love the people, I love the horse, and I love the whole idea behind this sport.  Have a well conditioned horse to do the job.  If one does the homework, gets the horse in shape while keeping the horse's interest, then goes to the ride to do the best one can do for that moment.  I love the teamwork between rider and horse.  My horses love going down trail, no doubt about it, they get into it, their ears are forward, they follow the markers, they tell me where they can move out, they tell me when they want to drink, they tell me when they want to eat.  This sport makes me listen to my horse.  Nothing can be cooler or neater than that.  After over 30 years, I still am learning and it still is fun.  When it isn't fun, then I look it over and decide if I need a break, does the horse need a break, maybe I need to volunteer for awhile, maybe I shouldn't ride as many miles.  I miss it when I take time off. It puts meaning into my life.  It takes some smarts to get that horse in shape, get oneself in shape, then ride the ride to the horse and one's ability.  It is an adventure and I am not willing to give it up yet.  I want to know what is around the next corner.  Jeanie