Fw: [RC] What makes you do this? - Debbie Buick

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] What makes you do this?

Okay, the part about all flames to Howard was a joke, so lighten up.  I don't want people screaming at me, I don't mind a discussion.

For your information, I have had horses nearly all of my 51 years.  I participate in trail riding and carriage driving competitions, but at the lower levels because of the demands of the higher levels on the horse.  I really think any horse does not enjoy that kind of stress and work, no matter what anyone says.  Horses are lazy by nature, and prefer to eat and sleep if left alone.  My horses are much loved, I would just not want to hurt them or put them in any danger for my own ego.

I also have a friend who competes in the iron man competitions, triathalons, 3rd in her wieght division in Ontario.  She is also an excellent rider.  She wouldn't put her horse through anything she wouldn't want to do herself, that's a lot, I'm not about to start marathons.  I just feel for the horses.  Also for your information, I've had a few emails from people who quit endurance just because of the situation I witnessed on the endurance ride, they have also encountered the same problems.  I think 100 miles might be okay, but do it over 2 days, and think more of the welfare of the horse.  Riding after dark is not the safest for rider or horse either.  There just seems to be a whole lot of things wrong with the entire senerio of endurance riding.  And like I said, how fit are the riders anyway?  Some couldn't run 100 yards, some couldn't even trot their horses at the vet, someone else did it for them.

Just my observations, if it makes you feel better, flame away.  I am not closed minded, I just can't see this as being a fun sport to put your horse through.

Deb