Re: [RC] What makes you do this? - Jim Holland

Debbie...

You're probably gonna get "flamed" a little over this post, but I kind
understand what you "think" you saw....cuz once I WAS there....

I'm going to try to explain...although you need to understand that my
perspective is somewhat different from the "average" Endurance Rider.
Keep in mind that simple words are inadequate....and you need more
insight and more time around Endurance to understand what's going on
here.

I started Endurance in the late 80's, early 90's, mostly crewing. I was
somewhat taken aback by the intensity of the sport....so different from
anything I had ever done with a horse. My "mentor" was very "serious"
about the sport, and "aggressively" taught me that we would
"compete"...and compete hard...but not at the expense of the horse. We
asked a lot of the horses...and "pushed" out to the edge of their
capabilities...and it's a damn fine line between being "on the edge" and
"over the edge"....and you have to learn how to do that....otherwise,
you better be a "completer".  Did the horse enjoy the actual
competition? Were they tired? Of course...but let's look at it from a
human perspective.

I joined the Marine Corps about 1966 and went to Paris Island. Did I
enjoy it? Well, no...not actually....but I thrived on it, gained weight,
strength, confidence in myself, and got VERY fit. I learned to survive,
persevere, "suck it up", and physical fitness became a lifetime goal.
The Marine Corps changed my life...and I attribute my good health to
that decision. At 61, I still run on the ground with my horse at the
"technical" rides...with riders many years my junior.

So what does this have to do with anything? Given a choice, horses would
choose to be pasture ornaments.....stay in their routine every day, get
fat, lots of treats, nice green grass, a nice shelter out of the rain
and wind, and basically do nothing. Is that good for them? Certainly
not...nor is overriding them at an Endurance Ride good for them either.
BOTH environments can contribute to health problems and a shorter life.

However, there is a "middle ground". Riders exceed that middle ground,
some intentionally, some due to ignorance. As in any sport, there are
people who should not be in it. Don't assume, just because a rider is
overweight, or unable to help their horse because they can't spend some
time on the ground that they don't care...or that they override their
horse...or abuse them. Endurance riders come in all flavors....physical
"capability" has nothing to do with their "skill" in this sport. There
are many "great" riders, who need help getting on their horse that excel
in this sport...without harming their horses. In fact, they love the
sport because they CAN excel despite their physical limitations.  The
only real difference I have seen is that the "fit riders" can do well
with what would be a "marginal" horse for the "unfit" riders, because
they can "assume" some of the workload themselves.

In the winter here in the North Georgia Mountains, it's cold, icy, and
the wind blows hard though the valleys. You get up on a frosty morning,
have that first cup of coffee, and your body says "Hey, just go back to
bed", but the mountains, the horse, and the "intensity" of it all make
you bundle up, saddle up one of the guys and do some miles, even if the
water bottles do freeze.

In the spring, when the grass greens up, the winter coats shed, and you
watch a strong, lean, confident, fit Arabian trot arrogantly across the
pasture with his neck arched, his tail up, his muscles rippling, you
forget about all the cold fingers and feet, the hard rides in the sleet
and snow...and he is so beautiful your heart is in your throat...and on
that subject, you REALLY need to read Julie Suhr's book.

At an Endurance Ride, the objective is to ride YOUR horse on a GIVEN
day, against a GIVEN trail under the EXISTING conditions within his
capabilities.

You did 25 miles in 4 hours. I have Top Tenned a 50 mile ride in just
over 4 hours on my horse Sun of Dimanche+, his pulse was well under 64
by the time I got my tack off at EVERY Vet Check. We raced at the
finish, he was ASKING to run, enjoyed it immensely...his mane in my face
and fire in his heart..and his pulse was STILL down by the time I got
his tack off....because he was WITHIN HIS CAPABILITIES ON THAT RIDE ON
THAT DAY UNDER THOSE CONDITONS...and he is by no means a GREAT
horse....and never will be.

I also did a 50 mile ride on that same horse in 11 hours and 47 minutes
the same year...because THAT was what the "trail" and my "horse" could
do on that day.

Horses learn to love the trail and the competition....and miss it. We
once had a mare that would go into hysterics if the trailer left without
her. Like everything else, Endurance can be a rewarding and pleasurable
experience that your horse enjoys....or it can cost him his life....it's
the RIDER that makes the decision....the horse doesn't get a choice.

All that said, before you condemn this sport, get to know some of those
riders that you think are "abusing" their horse. Talk with them.
Endurance riders are passionate about this sport...and happy to share.
Yes, it's an ego trip to some extent...but it SHOULD be a JOINT ego trip
between you and the horse. Do a thousand miles on a horse, plus all the
training miles to get that thousand miles and you will understand. It's
about ONE RIDER, ONE HORSE, MANY MILES...with the horse's welfare utmost
in your mind and a bond so strong that you don't know where he starts
and you begin. It's OK to push him hard...it's GOOD for the horse...like
any athlete, he won't get more fit if you don't...but you damn well
better be able to "read" him..know when he's hurting, know when he's
having a good day, and know when he just "ain't doing right". You want
him to "be all that he can be" <grin>. Until you get to that point, you
better be conservative and err on the side of the horse...unless you
want to see him standing under a tree with IV bottles hanging on him.

I love this sport...and it becomes more popular every day. Yes, we have
problems, and I sometimes despair that the "traditions" of this
discipline will be it's downfall. We need to move the sport forward,
address the riders ...and horses...that don't belong. We have "promises
to keep and miles to go before we sleep" to move Endurance into a
dynamic sport that treats our equine partners with compassion...that
strives to learn more, educate, and make new rules that prevent the
abuse by the few whose behavior leave a "bad taste" in the mouths of
those who DO care.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Debbie Buick wrote:

What is it that drives a person to do a 50 or 100 mile ride on an
animal they say they love?  Do they think the horse enjoys it?  I
volunteered at a ride this weekend, and believe me, none of the horses
appeared to enjoy it!  And half the riders didn't appear to enjoy it
either???  What makes you want to put your beloved animal through
that, is it your ego?  I've ridden a 25 miler in 4 hours, and I think
that wasn't bad, but question whether my horse or I would have enjoyed
any more.  And I didn't really enjoy horses coming in with a high
heart rate, and the owners rushing to get through the P/R people and
vet line, to get back out there and abuse their horse some more.  You
love your horse?  Sounds more like an ego trip to me.  I was impressed
with the calm people who took the time to take care of their mounts,
went slower, and came in with a 46 heart rate.  And to those who's
horses tied up, how can you even put your horse through that if you
love it?  And the lame horses, why trot that horse 10 times, the first
time showed he was dead lame, 9 more times isn't going to help.  Did
you want to get back on and keep going, were you hoping he was just
sort of "off" for the first trot out?  I really got my eyes opened
volunteering, I'll say that.

And what makes a big fat person, with boobs or belly flopping for 50
miles, enjoy that???  Why do you expect your horse to be an athlete
when you couldn't run 100 yards yourself?  Why don't you go and train
to run a marathon, maybe with a 50 pound pack on your back, and see
how long it would take you to get fit, and how much you would enjoy
it?   Shouldn't people expecting their horse to be an athlete,
searching far and wide for the perfect horse that can go the
distance........don't you owe it to your horse to be somewhat fit
yourself???  Get out there and run a couple miles a day and get
yourself fit, and give your horse a break.  If your horse was too fat
you'd sure put him on a regiment in a hurry.  I'm not trying to be
mean, just to give you another perspective from a spectator, and what
the animal rights people might see also.  The older I get the more I
am on the side of the horse.  I don't like 2 year olds racing, or 3
for that matter.  I don't like the high level eventing and how tough
it is on the horses.  And I don't like the jumping over fences and
walls a horse can't even see over top of.  I think some of our so
called "horse sports" are getting a little out of hand, and the
welfare of the horse is not a priority, or they wouldn't keep making
the courses tougher and tougher.  Some are just down right dangerous!

Send all flames to Howard, I think he's used to it.

Deb

--
Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm