Re: [RC] colic at rides--LONG--part 3 - DVeritas

In a message dated 12/13/2003 8:45:40 PM Mountain Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
We've done a good job of selecting horses for cardiovascular capability.  We've done a lousy job of selecting horses with tough guts.  We seem to have this idea that if we just feed "Super Goo" or buy the right kind of e-lytes or get the right feed mix that we can somehow manage these finicky guts.  And we are wrong.  It just so happens that on horses with less-than-admirable guts, it is the gut that goes first when they are overridden.
Thank you, Heidi for taking the time to provide this information to the list.
    ..."it is the gut that goes first when they are overridden."
    THEN, an elevated pulse?
    Is there any indication to, say, the average rider, that the gut is in trouble...OTHER THAN gut sounds/motility?
    Do all horses in trouble (guts, that is) present the same?
       Frank