[RC] getting new vets to do rides - Jonni Jewell

We have been discussing how to get more vets to vet at NATRC rides on the
CTR list. One point that is brought up is, the vet must take three days away
from their practice to attend the ride. They start with check in on Friday,
and are not done until all the score cards are finished on Sunday afternoon.
Because it is "judging", the same vet is used all weekend, where at an
endurance ride, one vet can work Friday check in, and then you may see
additional vets during the ride on Saturday.

NATRC does require an apprenticeship, and the vets go through some training.
Maybe a little more extensive than for endurance.  A good number of our
NATRC vets, are also riders in the sport. A few are married to Horsemanship
judges. Kind of a "keep it in the family" kind of thing. Because they are
"judges", and rides want to hire different judges than the other rides in
the area hired, almost always you will have travel considerations involved.
Very rare for NATRC vets to be able to drive to most of the rides they vet
at. The rides try to get new judges, to offer riders different opinions. So,
they must add airfare to the cost of the vet, and for the vet, even a little
more time away, as they have travel time considerations.

I would love to see more vets look into the other sport they might not be
currently vetting, and consider becoming a vet for that organization also.
Not only would both groups get more vets to choose from, but I think that
the vets could learn by the different sports.

Both endurance and competitive are distance riding, but as we know, often
very different in what they will see in regards to the animals, fitness,
styles etc.

Jonni in TX