Re: [RC] new riders/mentors - Merryben

In a message dated 12/12/2003 3:37:54 PM Central Standard Time, kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
However, on this same ride, the RM enacted a mandatory 1 hour hold time, leaving 5 hours to complete 25 miles (through the TX Hill Country = not flat fast course) **less** times for meeting criteria, so essentially 4.5 hours of ride time  The ride manager stated the ride was to be a test of horsemanship, which is great. But there were no mile markers on the trail (is this common?), and we had a reduced amount of time to complete due to the extra long hold. So it was difficult to know how hard to push to complete as we couldn't be sure how far out we were.  I think this defeated some of the RM's intentions.
I don't consider an hour an extra long hold.  I also think if you can't do 25 miles in 4.5 hours you probably should not be out there.  Although my first ride back after breaking my knee, Karen, Trilby and I did the first 20 in 5 hours at Eastern High Sierra but that is a very technical trail with rocks, waterfalls and sheep in your way and a climb to the snow line.  We booked on the last 30 and finished with 5 minutes to spare.......mb