Re: [RC] Another newbie's rambling - SandyDSA

In a message dated 12/12/2003 9:26:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, karenbrat1@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Information is out there.  Anybody who whines about how they "didn't know" is either too lazy or too stupid to look.  Years before I entered an LD, I sent for and devoured both the NATRC and AERC manuals for riders, managers, AND vets.  I got books about endurance through interlibrary loan -- it's free!  And then bought them when I could afford to, have at least six on my shelf right now and one new purchase is on its way to me.  When we got internet I spent dozens, probably hundreds of hours exploring endurance sites.  AERC has a lot of good new information on their site and in the booklets, but if people aren't going to look for it what can you do.

Bottom line is that this is not some necessity of life (though we may beg to differ at stressful points of our lives:)!) and as such, if one cannot afford to or chooses not to avail themselves of information available, then DON'T DO IT! Wait until you have both the experience and information to take part - notice I didn't even say COMPETE - safely; and in teh end, if you never do it at all, life goes on pretty much as it should - only perhaps a horse is alive because of it.